Automation/External Files support
Requirement is to add a third layer to current scripts. Currently, there are two defined layers. Bottom layer is where html page contents are abstracted into Automation Engineer meaningful functions. On top of this layer, the functions are put all in sequence to achieve a successful testcase. New layer should take all the parametrized data, that allows an user to run the same test case in a different environment.
All executions should use as input a file, that must be provided for the user. As an example, a file that executes the Smoke Test as is will be provided. If a test case requires some previous test case result (i.e. Create Sales Invoice needs an Order Number to select the proper option in the Create Lines From window) then an output file should be created by the first test case. See Discussion Items section for details.
Open Discussion Items
- File format has to be decided
- Only one format should be enough
- A little research about available formats is required
- A single file is enough for whole smoke?
- What about a file for each module?
- Regarding the output, how this will be managed is still not clear
- Will the results be written in the same file where the source data was? In a different file?
- How the next testcase will use the data created by the previous one?
- What will happen in overwriting scenarios (results from previous and current scripts have the same parameter with different values)?